The best bike is the bike you ride!

My overwhelming philosophy since I started in the retail cycling business is that a bike is only as good as the amount it gets ridden. Whether an issue of fit or practicality, a bike needs to make its owner want to get out and use it.


Sunday, November 6, 2011

Velo Orange elk hide city grips

I recently decided to add some Velo Orange elk hide grips to a couple of bikes and I was really, really impressed when I added them to the Velo Orange porteur bars I was using in the build.  I simply put on a layer of cloth bar tape, which, as it turns out, wasn't absolutlely necessary, but did add a little cush and added a bit of texture.

They went on easily after some initial trial and error - I taped the bars first, then laid the elk hide over the bars.  I then spent a few minutes working the leather, trying to form it around the bars,before I peeled off the double sided tape and had at it with the needles and waxed thread.

Unlike my earlier attempt on the Miyata, which had MTB diameter bars, the Porteurs were road diameter, so the seams set up nicely in a baseball style stitch - I'm not sure if that's the official name, but take a look at the pictures and decide for yourself.

Once I completed the sewing, I popped in the old school bar plugs, which looked just right, and then applied some leather preservative, to darken and condition the leather, so it just matched the saddle, too.

The pictures below are on the Raleigh Super Course I have for sale, priced at $350, and with the smooth Reynolds steel and the VO leather, it's a luxurious city cruiser!

I can, BTW, do this for your bike, too!  Email me and we can plan color, price and any other extras you might enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment